Monday, March 9, 2015

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) - A health problem that affects 1/10 women

Dear all,

I was telling you briefly in my first post about some health issues that made me more conscious of my current lifestyle and on getting back to a healthier lifestyle. I’d like to tell you more about it on this post. What I’ve been diagnosed with is Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), I’m going tell you more about it, not to freak you out (as I did!) but to inform more women and girls about that health problem that can affect us. I think there’s really a lack of information on this and I wish I had known more about it before so I could diagnose it earlier and take on better care for myself.

I’ve only come across the exact term recently, when an endocrinologist (on gynecologist’s referral after finding polycysts in my ovaries) explained to me what was happening in my body.

I had been told I had polycysts in my ovaries at a previous moment, probably over a year ago and I was given a birth control pill for it but the gynecologist that I went to at that time dismissed me very quickly and only said it was nothing to worry about, she hadn’t explained causes, consequences, or solutions and even though I was a bit worried, I didn’t look more into it. I probably should have, but I tried not to worry more and just followed the indication of taking the pill.

I stopped it about 6 months later as I didn’t like the idea of taking the pill and sort of “forgot” I had been taking it initially for the polycysts. I guess I thought they had dissolved or disappeared since I had been taking the pill properly and hadn’t been told to take it on a long term basis.

That’s when I started having big gaps between my periods again, acne and a greasy skin. I usually get my armpits, legs and bikini waxed and I realized I had to go every two weeks or less when I would usually only go one a month, my hair was regrowing quicker and it seemed thicker, I hated it! I also felt like I had mood swings and that I was a bit depressed. I thought these were the result of stress at work and being away from home (France or even just Europe as a whole at this point). I questioned myself on a lot of the decisions I had made, it was a bit of a mad circle to be honest and I felt very lonely even though I have a good and stable situation here in Peru. Ahhh The things that go through one’s mind, you can imagine! I felt so appalled by my appearance and I do feel like my waist has increased too on top of an extra 5kg!

Anyway..

During one of my other long gap between periods, I knew I wasn’t pregnant and I was reminded of my polycysts so I went to see a gynecologist, this time at a clinic. There the attention was a lot better and she redirected me to an endocrinologist, the kind of doctor specialized in hormones. I needed some blood test results first and then went to my appointment. The doctor was very clear in her explanation, as I listed some of the symptoms I felt I had, she completed it with others:

  • Infertility (not able to get pregnant) because of not ovulating. In fact, PCOS is the most common cause of female infertility.
  • Infrequent, absent, and/or irregular menstrual periods
  • Hirsutism (HER-suh-tiz-um) — increased hair growth on the face, chest, stomach, back, thumbs, or toes
  • Acne, oily skin, or dandruff
  • Weight gain or obesity, usually with extra weight around the waist
  • Male-pattern baldness or thinning hair
  • Patches of skin on the neck, arms, breasts, or thighs that are thick and dark brown or black
  • Skin tags — excess flaps of skin in the armpits or neck area
  • Pelvic pain
  • Sleep apnea — when breathing stops for short periods of time while asleep


I think infertility as a symptom or as a result is what frightens me most. I’m nothing close to having kids and all of that but the idea of maybe not being able is what initially made me freak out most. I guess some sort of maternity instinct undercover just hit me.

She also told me how I should lower my intake of sugar, improve my daily diet and do more exercise. There’s no real “solution” to the problem, but changing one’s lifestyle is a big part in improving one’s condition. Women’s Health website is very complete on everything around PCOS and I’d like to recommend you their website (link below).

I won’t be mentioning much more about PCOS on the blog, I feel the link from Women’s Health is very complete and I know it helped me a good bit in understanding even more what it is. I hope it helps you too, if you feel like getting in touch to discuss more, I’d be happy to do so. I haven’t share much on this with anyone in my entourage, probably just with 1 or 2 close friends, I felt I needed to put it down and maybe this way I’d virtually meet other women who are going through the same. I want the blog to cover mainly my journey through a better and healthier lifestyle mainly but there will be other subjects too of course JJ

Feel free to comment your experience and how you’ve changed your daily routines!

Follow up, there’s more coming ;)

Enjoy & Share


L.





No comments:

Post a Comment