Tuesday, March 10, 2015

A couple of thoughts and food share

Folks, 

 

I’ve been trying to revamp my weekly meals and snacks. The web is so full of inspirations but I find it hard sometimes to take the times to cook and prepare things after work. I’ll be posting some of my trials and discoveries to share them with you :)

 

Here’s a snap of one of the juices I made recently:




 

I love the color and the taste was as fabulous! It was a first for me using Pitahaya and mixing it with small bananas, ice, a bit of milk and sugar. I’m trying to avoid using sugar and replace it with all natural honey or algarrobina syrup but I didn’t have any of the latter anymore and didn’t feel like honey would be a good match on this one so I played it safe.

Pitahaya has a similar taste to prickly pears which I like a lot but I never made a juice of them because of the seeds, I found a replacement now! It’s so refreshing and I haven’t read about it much yet but I’m sure it’s full of good things for your body ;) It just feels awesome.

 

 

On a not so healthy note (I’m trying, I swear!!) Here’s a tart, or quiche, I made with lean bacon stripes, courgette, cherry tomatoes and well, the usual cream and eggs:




I hadn’t made one in a while, so I thought it’d be nice as I was having co-workers over for drinks. They know quiche here but I don’t find it that good and prefer to make my own. It was well acclaimed ! Next time, I’ll try to alter a bit the recipe, using half the amount of cream and replacing the other half with skimmed milk while also adding more vegetables.

 

I try to use only organic products but it’s still complicated to find a large variety here; or they can be too expensive like almond milk for example because they’re imported; or again, the market I go to is only on weekends, so if I miss it , I have to wait until the following weekend for some new products. The Bioferia market is resourceful enough, at least I can get most vegg, not so many fruits though, but also, eggs, yogurt, cheese and milk as well as tasty dark chocolate and sacha inchi. If you’re around Lima, I’d definitely recommend you to go on Saturdays at the Reducto park or on Sundays at the Surquillo market.

 

Just to be clear, I am by no means doing a diet and you will not only find very healthy and 0-carb food on this blog. I’m trying to change my daily routines, that means incorporating healthier options but there will still be ‘regular’ food exposed. I love good food and come from the South of France where a lot of the gastronomy is far from being healthy. Still they are part of me and my culture, same with pastries ! I’ll also comment on restaurants and different places visited, ‘Taking a Healthy Turn’ won’t refer to just healthy food but it’ll also refer to a healthy state of mind and body care. You know, changing thoughts on oneself like feeling guilty for the cake and cream eaten earlier, that’s a no go! The idea is to limit that kind of habit while embracing yourself ;) Hope I got the idea down right.

 

Here in Peru, I had the idea everything was a lot more healthy but it’s not! They incorporate a lot of rice and potato (often both in a same dish) and it feels very heavy, that’s probably why I never cook either. I know already I’ll be having both at least a couple of times during the week when I get my lunch from the lady at the cafeteria. 

That said.. I still managed to make a cake out of.. Sweet POTATO!! And it was damn good.. Geez I can't with so much food!




On the other side the variety of fruits here is awesome! I love going to the market in Magdalena del Mar, it’s very big and you can finds all sorts of things. I’ll probably do on a post on it !

 

Enjoy & Share your thoughts!

 

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment